I’m going to start doing the Ten on Tuesday as a way to keep the content on this space rotating. Things have been crazy making lately and I really want to keep up better. This week’s is 10 Bad Habits You Can’t Break
1. Soda. I try to quit and I do well for a good bit of time, and then suddenly, if I don’t have a Coke, it’s as if the world has already ended and I’m left in the post-apocalypse and the only thing that can unwind the clock is a nice cold can of Coke. It will deliver me back to my rightful place and right the world again. Coke = magic.
2. I don’t wash the makeup off my face before going to bed. This is a bad bad habit, and I don’t know why I don’t do it. I always feel so good and clean when I do manage to take care of it. But at night, after the kids are in bed, I sit propped in bed watching Battlestar Galactica episodes and knitting, and I cannot tear myself out of my comfort zone for the good of my skin. Horrible. Acne-inducing. Bad bad bad habit.
3. I eat way too fast. I learned on a work trip recently that I wolf down my food at such a speed that people around me should be worried about me sucking down their toupées and broaches and other unsecured items. I do this because I barely get through my dinner before my kids are in dire need of something, help in the potty, another fork to replace the one they let the dog lick, or some other such thing. If I don’t inhale then I won’t get to eat while it’s still hot. This means that I overeat. It takes something like 20 minutes for your stomach to signal your brain when you’re full. Slowing down means that you don’t keep eating beyond your capacity if you allow your stomach the chance to get that signal to the brain. It explains a lot to me, about my weight, my lethargy in general. I don’t really eat bad things (except mashed potatoes) in large quantities like chips or ice cream, but just eating too much is likely my culprit weight wise. And the soda up there in #1.
4. I wait way too long to pay bills. I hate paying bills. Especially when I have to juggle what gets paid when. And I relax a lot more when I know things are paid. But sometimes, I just don’t feel like it, and it’s a bad thing that I need to quit doing. Don’t get me wrong. Our bills get paid, and usually not too late, but sometimes a couple extra days that are totally unneccessary. I need to stop that.
5. I am a yeller. When the kids have turned the dial of chaos up to eleven and the phone rings, dinner’s burning on the stove, and the dog’s barking to be let in, well, I tend to lose my shit. I’m not proud of this trait of mine. I really wish I could be even tempered all the time, that I didn’t react so loudly at first instead of thinking first, and I’m trying to be better.
6. I am a terrible housekeeper. I hate to clean. My husband does a much better job than I and more efficiently most of the time. He’s a wonder of human kind, able to multitask like no one else I’ve ever met. But I suck at it. Sure, I can do dishes and laundry and keep things in general order, but to clean. Yeah, I’m not doing it very well. I know how. I don’t have any motivation.
7. I finish people’s sentences for them. Sometimes it’s helpful if someone can’t think of the proper word, but I hate it when people try to anticipate my thoughts so I really shouldn’t do it to other people.
8. My husband says I tailgate people. I admit to doing so some of the time, but it’s a bad habit. I drive in rush hour traffic twice a day all week and if you don’t stay close to the person in front of you, you’ll end up having fifteen people cut you off. I’ve grown accustomed to a shorter space cushion (and try to still leave enough room to stop should I need to) and so when it’s Saturday and I’m on the way to the library to return or pick up books, I tend to follow the person in front of me closely when I don’t need to. Mike says I should just drive in the slow lane so I don’t get cut off at all. Most people aren’t clamoring to get in the slow lane.
9. I am very prone to fad thinking. The newest thing? I fall hook, line, and sinker. Not so much with fashion but its really bad with TV. Though I do draw the line at reality shows. I watch The Biggest Loser and a couple of series on The Discovery Channel like Deadliest Catch and Swords, but other than that, I don’t understand reality TV. American Idol is not something I find myself compelled by. However, the rest of bandwagon TV? Totally there. Though usually late because I don’t have HBO or Showtime, which is where all the good shows seem to be. That’s okay, though, since I have Netflix. God Bless Netflix.
10. I cannot seem to stick to a diet and exercise plan to save my life, literally. Though I’m hoping to change that soon.
Do you have any bad habits to share?